The VO Blog has moved!

The VO Blog has moved!

Visit us at our new home!

Friday, February 7, 2014

20 Questions with Katherine Whyte

Get to know one of our Donna Anna singers, Katherine Whyte, as we ask her 20 questions!


Guilty musical pleasure? 
I'm not sure it's guilty but I love anything Jazz, especially vocal Jazz

Where do you love to sing?  
Anywhere! I do enjoy singing in NYC because I get to be at home and work. 

What is your idea of earthly happiness? 
Wow! This is a deep question. Doing what I am created to do well and thereby impacting poeple.

To what faults do you feel most indulgent? 
Ha, ha ha... Where should I start. I'm very sensitive and I probably let that one go a lot because I'm a musician and a woman :)

Who are your favourite heroes/heroines of fiction? 

I really like Sydney Carton from A Tale of Two Cities and Jean Valjean from Les Miserables. These two characters were both normal, flawed individuals who made a difference with their second chances.

Who are your favourite characters in history?
 

I like Ann Frank, a woman who stood up when it was needed. I think someone like Mother Teresa's life makes me uncomfortable in a good way.

Who are your favourite heroes/heroines in real life? 

I was so impacted by the life of Nelson Mandela. I think he still counts as real life. My sister as well. She's amazing.
 
Who is your favourite author? 
I was really impacted by Marilynne Robinson and Madeleine L'Engel. 

Your favourite musician?  
I'm not sure I have a favourite, the list of those I admire is really long.  Lets start with Regina Resnik. That woman's singing was flawless! 


Your favourite composer?  
I think I'm going to have to say Mozart.

What quality do you most admire in a person? 
Confidence in who they are. Without being cocky. 

Your favourite virtue?  
I think love, people who show a love that doesn't match their circumstances, who love even if they aren't loved in return.

Your favourite occupation? 
Well singing for sure but I do have my days where I wish I could be a professional tennis player. This is my other obsession :)

What did you want to be as a child? 
I really wanted to be a ballet dancer. My parents took us to the Nutcracker every Christmas.

Your most marked characteristic? 

I'm pretty outgoing. People say that I could make anyone/anything talk, including a fire-hydrant.

What do you most value in your friends? 
Depth, being able to share beyond the surface connections.

For what would you like to be remembered? 

I would like to be remembered as one who loved people. That is true success.

What natural gift would you most like to possess? 

I would love to be able to draw and paint. I feel like looking at nature and taking a picture just doesn't do a good enough job.  

What is your motto? 
I'm here for a reason and how I live my life makes a difference.


What non-opera song do you rock? 
"Just the way you look tonight."


No comments: