Canadian soprano Erin Wall will sing Violetta in VO's La Traviata (onstage at the Queen Elizabeth Theatre April 30 - May 12!). What does it take to sing such a sensitive, larger-than-life character? Find out as we ask Erin 20 Questions!
1. Guilty musical pleasure?
Tenacious D’s Rock Your Socks Off.
2. Where do you love to sing?
In the car. I’ve learned a lot of music in there!
3. What is your idea of earthly happiness?
Waking up after a full night’s sleep in my own bed and spending a lazy morning with my husband, my son, and a hot cup of coffee!
4. To what faults do you feel most indulgent?
5. Who are your favourite heroes/heroines of fiction?
Marguerite Gautier and, yes, I’ll say it, Bridget Jones.
6. Who are your favourite characters in history?
Pheidippides and Marie Curie.
7. Who are your favourite heroes/heroines in real life?
8. Who is your favourite author?
9. Your favourite musician?
Impossible to chose just one. The list is endless!
10. Your favourite composer?
Very difficult, but I’m going to say Mozart, Strauss, and Mahler.
11. What quality do you most admire in a person?
Diplomacy and generosity.
12. Your favourite virtue?
13. Your favourite occupation?
I like the one I have - a working singer.
14. What did you want to be as a child?
A figure-skating veterinarian.
15. Your most marked characteristic?
I am excessively verbal.
16. What do you most value in your friends?
Patience and acceptance.
17. For what would you like to be remembered?
Being a good daughter, sister, wife, and mother.
18. What natural gift would you most like to possess?
The ability to learn languages easily.
19. What is your motto?
Never lose perspective.
20. What non-opera song do you rock?
I do a mean “Baby Beluga”!
Find out more about Erin here.